top of page

Benefit Entitlements and Schemes

Benefit Entitlements

If you have been diagnosed with an asbestos related disease you maybe entitled to a Government funded benefits and our support team can help determine which are appropriate.

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (IIDB)

 Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (IIDB) is applicable if you have been exposed to asbestos either, at work or on an approved employment training scheme or course. 

The amount you may get depends on your individual circumstances.

Attendance Allowance (AA over 65's)

Attendance Allowance helps with extra costs if you have a disability severe enough that you need someone to help look after you.
​There are two entitlement rates and how much you get depends on the level of care that you need because of your disability.

This benefit is to help with personal support if you’re both, physically or mentally disabled or claiming state pension.

Mobility needs are not included within this benefit. 

Constant Attendance Allowance (CAA)

Constant Attendance Allowance can be applied for if you receive Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit or a War Disablement Pension and you need daily care and attention because of a disability.

There are four different weekly rates of Constant Attendance Allowance, how much you get depends on the extent of your disability and the amount of care you may require.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP under 65's)

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) can help with extra living costs if you have both:

  • a long-term physical or mental disability

  • difficulty doing certain everyday tasks or mobility

You can get PIP even if you’re working, have savings or receiving other benefits.

There are 2 parts to PIP:

  • a daily living part - if you need help with everyday tasks

  • a mobility part - if you need help with getting around

Employment Support Allowance (ESA)

ESA gives you money to help with living costs if you’re unable to work and support you to get back into work if you’re able to

You can apply regardless of employment status.

Carer's Allowance (applicable if PIP or AA is received)

You could get a weekly allowance if you care for someone at least 35 hours a week and they get certain benefits.

You do not have to be related to, or live with, the person you care for.

You do not get paid extra if you care for more than one person.

If someone else also cares for the same person as you, only one of you can claim Carer’s Allowance.

Blue Badge

The Blue Badge scheme helps those with severe mobility problems who have difficulty using public transport to park close to where they need to go.

Government has changed the way of assessing who gets a Blue Badge to make the process clearer and align it with wider disability benefit reforms.​

Compensation Schemes

If you’ve been diagnosed with a asbestos-related disease, diffuse mesothelioma.

There are 2 types of payment you can claim for:

  • Diffuse mesothelioma payments (the ‘2008 scheme’) you can apply for this scheme if you have been contact with asbestos through when self employed, through secondary exposure or unaware of where exposure occurred.

  • Diffuse Mesothelioma Payment Scheme (DMPS)

Workers compensation Act 1979 you could receive a one off payment if you have been awarded the industrial injuries disablement benefit (applications must be made within 12months of receiving benefit) in addition you will need to be diagnosed with one of the following:-


 diffuse mesothelioma

bilateral diffuse pleural thickening

primary carcinoma of the lung when accompanied by asbestosis or bilateral diffuse pleural thickening

More information of applicable schemes can be found on the Government website

Diffuse mesothelioma payments: What you'll get - GOV.UK (

bottom of page